Patients sometimes ask their Dentist in West Covina about the pros and cons of dentures vs. implants. Deciding which way to go is a big decision, but these patients want their smile back. Either choice will make it easier for them to speak, eat, and boost their self-confidence.
It’s important for a dentist to evaluate the patient’s current dental needs before recommending the best solution.
Dentures are “false teeth” constructed from acrylic, porcelain, and metal to replace missing teeth. Molds are taken of the mouth and jaw and used to make a custom denture. After the denture is ready, the dentist will perform any necessary extractions and fit the denture to the mouth immediately. It may be necessary to reline the denture in three to four months.
• Quick and simple with same-day dentures
• Best for patients with jaws or gums that aren’t suitable for implants
• Supports facial muscles and prevents the sagging look caused by missing teeth
• Without denture adhesive, dentures tend to shift and can become uncomfortable
• Eating hard foods like apples or corn on the cob can be difficult or not recommended
• Dentures require daily cleaning
• It takes some time to get used to dentures, especially lower dentures
• Dentures normally last five to seven years before needing to be replaced
Dental implants are preferred by those who want a permanent solution for lost teeth. A titanium implant acts as a root for a natural-looking tooth replacement. The titanium “root” is surgically implanted in the bone. Three or four months later, the replacement tooth is attached to the implant.
Dental Implant Pros
• Can last a lifetime
• Will not shift or move
• Look and feel very natural
• Permits eating the foods you love
• Can brush and floss like natural teeth
• Helps to prevent further bone deterioration
Dental Implant Cons
• Implant process takes longer than dentures
• Costs more, but there is no need to continually pay for denture adhesives or denture cleaners
• Not suitable for all patients or for smokers
West Covina Family Dentistry offers a full range of dental services for the entire family using state-of-the-art procedures to perform general and cosmetic dentistry, implants, and orthodontics. If you want to preserve your smile, pay a visit to this experienced Dentist in West Covina. To learn more or schedule an appointment, visit their website today.